The next level

Below is the result of day 2 of the painting course that I attended earlier this summer.

Day 2 was all about weathering and adding a level of realism to the model.

I was initially sceptical about going for the weathering as I came to learn that I tend to like my models to look more "cartoony" than real. As such, in the past, I would have been happy to leave things as they were on day 1!

Nevertheless I proceeded with 2-3 layers of chipping (one level of chipping slightly lighter than the first), using oil paints to create worn dust effects, following by spraying of a final level of surface dust.

I have to admit, I was unsure of the results when I first looked at them, despite praise received from the tutors.

However, that said, the more I look at this model, the more I like it and I've found that the more gritty effect is growing on me to a point that I am now quite bought into it. That said, I do still like colour so I would like to evolve my styles I that it combines the best of both worlds, richness of colour combined with some realism.

As a result I am now ready to start my Blood Angels Army, however the attraction of starting this as a 30k army grows stronger by the day.

Between now and then however...I've got a lot more Dark Angels to complete!





Comments

Popular Posts