The First Legion

Whilst this is still work in progress, I wanted to take an opportunity to share what has been a labour of love for the past 4 years.

What you see here is approximately 10,000 points of Dark Angels. 8,000 points are painted, with the reminder (circa 20 models) to be finished hopefully in time for the end of the year.

I've painted every one of these models (there is 1 razorback that I bought base coated); each one has edge highlighting and dry brush shading and I have tried, within the realms of sanity, to make these better than your standard tabletop level of detail.

Obviously, with 4 years of painting under my belt, my technique has adapted over the years so not everything is consistent.

I chose Dark Angels because I liked the fluff and imagery, the ability to play with 3 different colour schemes, and also because they have not traditionally been the 40k glory boys having a weaker codex...until now......

Broadly speaking the force is made up of the following:
1) A full 3rd Battle Company + support + vets. Each model is given a squad and company designation

2) 40 Deathwing Terminators (1st Company) + support (9 models outstanding to paint)

3) 6 Ravenwing bike squads (2nd Company), each with land speeder and attack bike support (as well as flyers and large speeder goodness (2 squads to be painted)

4) A Fellblade (weathering to be completed this weekend on my MKA Studio painting course - and the first to use my new airbrush

As mentioned above, I hope to finish this all by the end of the year - in time for the release of the Horus Heresy book VI, which will allow me to focus on my Blood Angels legion - which I can't wait for.

Barring a third and final Imperial Knight, I think that this may be the last of my 40k armies that I will build. This army is effectively 7 armies in 1 allowing me to play any of the 3 wings on their own, or in any one of 4 combinations - this means that along with Grey Knights and Imperial Knights...I'm pretty sorted.

Once complete, I will take final photos and post on this blog. However the most important achievement for me will be to get this entire army on a beautiful looking board and fight an immense apocalypse battle...These boys are ready for a fight with either the space pixies, or the bugs...






Comments

Popular Posts