Hobby Progress May 16 - Time to Start Painting

I started May with getting my HQ models ready for the spraycan. First up is Castrmen Orth, an Iron Hands specific character. Like Pask of the Astra Militarum, Castrmen is a tank commander who gives extra characteristics to his chosen vehicle (+ 1BS and tank hunters). Unlike Pask, when his vehicle is blown up, Castrmen gets out and starts clubbing people with a great big power maul. I therefore needed a figure to represent him. I've decided to convert the chaplain figure from B@C set. Its been a simple job to lop off the plasma pistol and replace it with a bolt pistol and to remove the Crozius and replace it with a powermaul.


Next up I wanted a generic terminator clad Praetor. The B@C model is great, but I really wanted a paragon blade rather than a chainfist. He needs a bit more work on the greenstuff that is attaching his newly grafted sword, but I quite like the pose I have on him.



I've also assembled a forgefather - its a great model but as its non-basecoated resin it won't photograph well.

Now that I've decided on the paint scheme I've been able to  put it on some models. I've started with five of the basic tactical marines. These guys are still work in progress - the left shoulder pads are temporarily glossy as they're being prepped for the addition of transfers and weathering hasn't happened yet. But still, I think they're shaping up well.


The final colour scheme starts with a black base coat. Metallics are picked out in Leadbelcher with some details done in Runelord Brass. Highlights on the armour are picked out in Mechanicum Grey and some highlighting in silver is applied to parts of the metal. The entire model is then washed in Drakenhof Nightshade and then with Guilliman Blue. The lenses are layered dark red through to a bright orange. The base is basecoated in Dark Flesh, covered in Mars Ironearth and then highlighted with Verminlord Hide.






Next steps are to add transfers to the shoulder pad and to one knee, add some chipping, slap on some weathering powder and potentially put some shrubbery on the base.

I've also tested the paint scheme on one of the rhinos. Again the model isn't finished yet: it still needs some details around the headlights and so on, weathering powders need to be added and a consistent varnish needs to be applied (the top hatch looks a bit weird as its matt varnished to seal the transfer and the rest of the model isn't. Still, its complete enough to get a sense of what the final result will look like.

The hatch on the left will take a havoc launcher once that has been painted up

The weathering around the tracks is restricted to some dry-brushing of the same colour as Martian Iron Earth (Verminlord Hide). Weathering powders will follow

The panel at the front right-hand side of the vehicle needs fixing - its gone all blotchy from too much wash

Foregworld transfers for the win!


Key learnings:

  • The scheme is working for me which is great; no need to go back to the drawing board
  • The edge highlighting has been lost in a few places. Its there, its just too faint to see. Going to experiment with the right line thickness and using a lighter colour to pop more
  • For applying transfers Microset and Microsol are just brilliant. First time I've used them and I'm an instant convert
  • I'm pleased I went with the Mars pattern rhinos as they've allowed me to used the Iron Hands door sets. However, I'm not sure if the door sets work well with the graphic transfers. The simple symbols and names from the transfer set work well but the metal colours in the more complex transfers are so different from the ones I've used on the doors that they clash a bit
  • The colour scheme relies on violet wash and blue glaze to be applied to the whole vehicle. That is causing pooling issues which you don't get on the infantry. Will have to experiment with putting the coats on more carefully and slowly
  • Other than using weathering powders to add road-dust to the track areas and soot to the engine exhausts, I'm not too sure how to weather a mostly black model like this. I don't think oil stains and grime will show up in a meaningful way 
I don't really need any more models but I just couldn't resist the Renegade Knight set. I was originally planning Mechanicum allies, but two knights for £96 is impossible to say no to. Its going to be while before I get to them, but I'm really looking forward to bashing them together.



Finally, I'm super excited to see the new epic scale models being developed by forgeworld. It's probably the only way I'll ever own a Warlord Titan. 


Hopefully they're not going to stop at the Titanicus and will completely revisit epic - super exciting!

Comments

Popular Posts